Pipelayer: This is an hourly-rated skilled craft position that performs on construction projects and is responsible for assembling, connecting, and constructing pipe systems for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains along with all associated excavation and backfill.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Pass drug & alcohol screening.
- Valid United States Driver’s License.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Competent Person Training.
- 3 years minimum experience with water, sewer, storm drain, and sediment control installation.
- Install water, sewer, drain structures, and associated pipe.
- Layout pipe routes, following specifications or blueprints, and coordinating layouts with field layout.
- Cut pipes to the required lengths.
- Assist in aligning pipes during pipeline construction.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints.
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
- Grade and level trench bases, using tamping machines and hand tools.
- Train others in pipe-laying techniques.
- Other general labor and construction-related duties as required.
- Understands trench safety requirements, soil types, and use of protective systems.
- Regularly uses a shovel, digging iron, cut-off saw, and tamper.
- Maintains depth by checking the laser beam or grade stakes and communicating with the operator.
- Sets up the pipe laser and periodically ensures that trenches are at the proper grade by frequently checking the pipe laser or grade stakes.
- Communicates with the operator about the alignment of the pipe by using hand signals to ensure the proper depth.
- Ability to lift and carry, on a frequent basis, at least 50 lbs.
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
- Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground in varying weather conditions.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
- The employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
About F.O. Day Company:
For over 75 years, family-owned F.O. Day has developed into an award-winning construction company by building close relationships with our extended family of valued clients, trusted employees, and dedicated subcontractors & suppliers. F.O. Day’s Corporate Headquarters supports its Regional Offices and five asphalt production facilities. Led by management in these facilities our employees focus on safety, quality, and performance supported by state-of-the-art technology and equipment.
F.O. Day Company provides excellent career opportunities and offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package such as;
- Competitive Compensation
- Paid Holidays
- Healthcare Benefits
- Continuous Job Training
- Company Paid Life and AD&D Insurance
- 401K with Company Contribution
F.O. Day Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without any discrimination due to their race, gender, religion, age, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, state, or local law. This policy extends to all aspects of employment with F.O. Day Company, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring decisions, assignment, advancement, compensation, benefits, retention, and termination.