PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Key Account Manager (KAM), Asphalt is accountable to achieve mutual growth and profitability objectives for our customers and Owens Corning. The Key Account Manager will execute business strategies for external asphalt sales within her/his region, in partnership with the Sales Leader, and aligned with the overall Roofing and Asphalt business strategies to strengthen Trumbull’s ability to leverage plant assets and maximize the Owens Corning value proposition. The Key Account Manager will demonstrate safety leadership in the field, with customers, and in all Owens Corning locations.
The Key Account Manager will successfully grow current accounts, convert targeted accounts, seek out and investigate new business opportunities as well as coordinate with the required technical, sourcing and manufacturing support needed to service these accounts. The KAM is supported by and works closely together with customer service, science and technology, sourcing, supply chain, and manufacturing to manage their account portfolio and provide the business with necessary information. The KAM will develop intimate understanding of the market in which a customer participates, communicate customer forecasts, and obtain internal alignment to manage weekly, monthly and annual volume, pricing and inventory requirements.
KNOWING OUR CUSTOMERS
- Drive business growth through customer knowledge and market understanding.
- Establish strong and productive customer relationships at multiple levels within potential customer organizations to secure new business while still servicing and working to grow existing business.
- Make decisions on how best to serve our customers and maximize customer satisfaction while obtaining a market price and sales volume that is consistent with the strategy and goals of the Asphalt Business.
- Continuously builds an intimate knowledge of business segment customers, their businesses, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our current and future products, programs and processes deliver to the customer.
- Understand what customers value from our product line and services.
- Drive and aggressively grow market share primarily associated with the pavement maintenance and hot mix asphalt customer segments.
- Make decisions/negotiate agreements to best service our customers, maximize customer satisfaction, while maximizing OC’s desired mix of sales volume and margin.
- Provide insight and opportunities to customers that will improve performance and supply chain efficiencies related to their business.
- Understand market dynamics to identify future asphalt trends that impact profitability.
- Manage monthly forecasting and pricing requirements.
- Trouble shoot service, supply and quality issues through plant/functional reviews to provide maximum customer satisfaction in delivering solutions.
- Monitor customer service levels and satisfaction to understand the market environment and accelerate performance.
GROWTH THROUGH NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Advance growth initiatives by pursuing strategic business opportunities that align with the overall Trumbull Asphalt and OC Roofing strategies.
- Partner with internal key stakeholders within Science & Technology to execute new business opportunities.
- Make joint sales calls on current and targeted customers with Owens Corning Technical Resource(s).
- Develop and/or maintain strategic relationships with customers.
- Partner with all facets of the Supply Chain required to successfully implement sales/service contracts/agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree required in business, sales, engineering or another related field
- 3+ years of sales experience in asphalt, chemicals, petroleum, or related field
- 2+ years’ experience managing customer accounts and handling senior level relationships
- Asphalt commercial and/or technical experience preferred
- Experience in a manufacturing or refinery environment preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates a customer-centric mindset whether working with internal or external stakeholders
- Possesses strong critical thinking skills
- High aptitude for technical details including understanding customer specifications, asphalt testing methods and interpreting results.
- Excellent communication skills
- Applied business analysis skills (understanding of basic business management tools / metrics) and financial knowledge
- Experience developing new business
- Demonstrated problem solving experience using a wide variety of methods and techniques to solve problems and make recommendations
- Strong curiosity, willingness to ask questions and anticipate alternative outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to function in a matrix organization
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.